Friday, October 14, 2022

The Reason for the trip

Trip down memory lane as I leave my aunt's house in the town where I grew up and head towards the wedding. My aunt has all kinds of fun signs and such around her house and yard. 

One of the 9 different houses I lived in before I was in 2nd grade. It did NOT look this nice when I lived in it. Back then, it looked more like something out of a horror movie, and I'm not certain but what it might have been haunted. The only real memory I have from the house is being buried under a bunch of quilts made by my great grandma because the house was so drafty.
Then , there is the funeral home where I would sometimes go after school to be babysat by family friends. Their son is the same age as me, so we would hang out and torture his sister. 
The pharmacy my parents used to own. Not sure what is in there now, but it's not a pharmacy. 
On to Clare, MI where this donut shop was started by retired cops because we all know how much cops like their donuts. I've heard of the place often, and was glad to finally get to visit. 
My grandma was the first female policewoman in Cadillac, MI. When she passed, the 2 aunts I just stayed with brought one of the patches from her uniform to the donut shop, where they display patches from all over the nation. 
In to the wedding. Drove through the spot while they were setting up to make sure I knew where I was going. Then headed into the heart of Mt Pleasant, MI to explore. 






My mother tested negative for the 2nd or 3rd time the morning of the wedding. Because it was outdoors, my mom was able to come & stand in the parking lot for the ceremony. She wasn't able to attend the reception, but was happy to get to see me and the wedding. It was beautiful. The bride wore a gorgeous black gown. I love that she went non-traditional. She said her inspiration was my wedding, which she attended when she was maybe 2 yrs old? 

They made these pins for the family members to help commemorate the family members who could not be there like my grandparents, the bride's great grandparents. 
A fun time was had by all  I left somewhat early, and without a hotel reservation I headed for the shores of Lake Michigan, hoping to find a hotel out there. Instead, I found a beach parking lot. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Train to Backpacking

 Because we were in a 12 bed mixed dorm room in the hostel, we ended up waking up a little earlier than anticipated. Of course, the nap the ...