Sunday, March 26, 2023

Parting ways with Jasper and closing in on the southern border

 This morning we found a place to charge the Ioniq5, which my husband had driven from Colorado to meet in San Antonio. While Jasper & I were charging the car, my husband found a park nearby to go run. We met up there after the Ioniq was charged, and got to take a very nice 3-4mile walk. Who knew such a beautiful place existed in the middle of nowhere Texas? 

After our walk/run, we found a dog friendly brewpub nearby for lunch. It was a beautiful day to sit outside and enjoy some burgers and beers. There was a large yard for dogs to interact, if they could do so in a friendly manner. We are never sure how interactive Jasper is feeling, so he hangs out with us for safety. The food was good, but it was time to part ways again. I needed to get further west to ensure I would be to San Diego in time for Legoland with my goddaughter.

  

 

I moved quickly through Texas getting views of the rugged mountains to the south while also seeing the steel wall that has been built along the border. It fascinated me and yet frightened me at the same time. Recent stories of kidnappings along the Texas/Mexico border had this solo female anxious about stopping anywhere but the end destination of Las Cruces, NM. Passing through El Paso, TX and seeing Ciudad Juarez just across the highway was interesting…they looked the same. I didn’t see a big wall dividing the 2 cities like I had seen along the highway prior to this point. It was dark, though, and I really just wanted to get to a city where I have visited previously. I took the decorations in the lobby of the hotel as a good sign that I would have luck on my side for the remainder of my trip.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Train to Backpacking

 Because we were in a 12 bed mixed dorm room in the hostel, we ended up waking up a little earlier than anticipated. Of course, the nap the ...