Saturday, April 23, 2022

Race Day

Day 14: Mendocino Coast 50k

What a long day. We got to the start line about 0630, I think? The race started at 0730, I think (Can you tell how involved in this race I was?) Anyway, we got there with plenty of time for my husband to warm up and be ready to run 50k through some of the most amazing scenery for the 5th time at this race that has been happening for 5 years (minus the covid years). In the past 4 years of the race, he has finished 3rd every time. We didn’t have very high hopes for this year considering he was coming off being injured and did not have near the amount of training of past years. I still held out hope that he would do well despite the decreased training. 

I wished him well and sent him on his way. From that point to the finish, it was on him to figure out what works. I setup camp at the finish line like someone who has done this many times prior...even Sid, the race director commented. 

The first 4 came in, & the 4th place guy commented he couldn’t slow down because the next guy was right on his heels. That’s when I knew my husband was that next guy. He has always been a competitive guy, and often on hikes together instructed me on focusing on people to pass as encouragement to keep going. That put him in 5th place overall. He joked that next year he would win so as to offset the balance and maintain an average of always finishing 3rd. I was happy to know all was well. From that point on, we simply remained to cheer on ALL the finishers. I love this local race.  😍

After the final runner was accounted for and most of the finish line was cleaned up, we headed to my cousin’s for dinner. Another great meal prepared by my cousin & her husband followed by relaxing and trying to figure out the plan for the next day.We always do something the whole family on the day after the race. That’s another favorite part of coming to the Mendocino Coast 50k. With plans in place, we all headed to bed for the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Train to Backpacking

 Because we were in a 12 bed mixed dorm room in the hostel, we ended up waking up a little earlier than anticipated. Of course, the nap the ...